Pages: 1 2
Reprinted from Palestinian Media Watch.
PMW Report Presented in US Congress:
The following report documents the Palestinian Authority’s use of American funding to pay salaries to terrorists in Israeli prisons and glorification of terrorists by the PA. It was presented yesterday by PMW director Itamar Marcus to members of Congress at a meeting in the Republican Israel Caucus.
– The Palestinian Authority pays monthly salaries to 5,500 prisoners in Israeli prisons, including terrorists
– The PA honors terrorists who have killed civilians, presenting them as heroes and role models
– The PA glorifies terror attacks as heroic, including suicide bombings
– The PA funds these salaries and activities from its general budget
– The US funds the PA general budget
– US law prohibits funding of any person who “… engages in, or has engaged in, terrorist activity…”
– US law prohibits funding “for the purpose of recognizing or otherwise honoring individuals who commit, or have committed acts of terrorism.”
1. New PA law enacts payment of monthly salaries to terrorists in Israeli prisons:
A law signed and published in the official Palestinian Authority Registry in April 2011 puts all Palestinians and Israeli Arabs imprisoned in Israel for terror crimes on the PA payroll to receive a monthly salary from the PA. [Official PA daily Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, April 15, 2011] This new law called PA Government Resolution of 2010, numbers 21 and 23, formalizes what has long been a PA practice.
2. Recipients of the monthly salary:
The PA has defined by law which Palestinians would be considered “prisoners”:
According to the PA definition, more than 5,500 Palestinian prisoners serving time for terror-related offenses are recipients. [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, July 14, 2011] Palestinian car thieves in Israeli prisons will not receive a salary, but every terrorist in prison including murderers are on the PA payroll. The salary goes directly to the terrorist or the terrorist’s family, and prisoners receive salary from the day of arrest.
3. Hamas and Fatah terrorist prisoners receive monthly salaries:
“The PA’s Ministry for Prisoner Affairs said that its policy had always been to pay salaries to prisoners and their families ‘regardless of their political affiliations.'”
4. Total amount that the PA pays in salaries to prisoners monthly:
5. Terrorists in prison receive higher average salary than PA civil servants and military personnel:
|Salary Recipients||Average Monthly Salary|
6. PA salary payments to prisoners is dependent on foreign funding:
The new PA law stipulates that payment of salaries “will be implemented… on the basis of available sources of funding.” [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, April 15, 2011] Accordingly, it is the contributions by the US and other foreign donors to the PA general budget that facilitates the payment of monthly salaries to the terrorist prisoners.
7. US law prohibits funding terrorists and past terrorists:
CONSOLIDATED APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2010: ASSISTANCE FOR THE WEST BANK AND Gaza, SEC. 7039. (b) VETTING.-
8. The US contributed $225 million in 2010 to the general PA budget from which the salaries are paid:
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton stated that an additional US grant in November 2010 “brings our direct budget assistance to a total of $225 million for the year and our overall support and investment to nearly $600 million this year.”
The following are examples from 2011:
10. A Palestinian Authority summer camp for children sponsored by PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad divided its campers into three groups named after the terrorists Dalal Mughrabi, Salah Khalaf and Abu Ali Mustafa.
Dalal Mughrabi in 1978 led the most lethal terror attack in Israel’s history, in which 37 civilians were killed, including one American and 12 children.
Salah Khalaf (Abu Iyad), head of Black September terror group, planned the murder of two American diplomats, and the Munich Olympics attack in 1972, and other terror attacks.
Abu Ali Mustafa, General Secretary of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, planned many terror attacks against civilians.
11. PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad honored terrorist bombers:
Qahira Al-Sa’adi and Irena Sarahneh, drove suicide bombers to their attacks killing 5.
Iman Ghazawi, placed a bomb in a bus station in Tel Aviv.
Latifa Abu Zara’a, smuggled a bomb into Israel for a suicide terror attack that was uncovered before it was implemented.
12. Abbas granted $2000 to family of terrorist:
In January 2011, a Palestinian terrorist carrying two pipe bombs ran towards Israeli soldiers screaming “Allahu Akbar” (“Allah is Greatest”). He was shot and killed. PA Chairman Abbas granted “the relatives of the Martyr” – $2000.
13. PA Minister of Prisoners’ Affairs honored terrorist responsible for murder of 30:
PA Minister of Prisoners’ Affairs Issa Karake visited the family of the terrorist Abbas Al-Sayid who planned the Passover suicide bombing in 2002. 30 Israelis were killed in the terror attack during the Passover Seder dinner. The PA minister handed the family an honorary plaque.
14. PA erected tree with pictures of 73 Palestinian prisoners serving life sentences:
PA Minister of Prisoners’ Affairs Issa Karake participated in a ceremony honoring all 73 Palestinians from Bethlehem serving life sentences in prison. The PA unveiled a “Tree of Freedom for Prisoners” decorated with 73 “photographs of prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment.”
15. PA officials visited homes of terrorists serving life sentences:
Riyad Al-Amour - Serving 11 life sentences for murder of 9 Israelis and 3 Palestinians he suspected of helping Israel.
Adnan Al-Afandi – Attempted to kill two children by stabbing them, 1992
Nasser and Mahmoud Abu Sorour - Participated in murder of Israeli Intelligence agent.
Rizq Salah – Killed an Israeli soldier with a bomb in Bethlehem, 1993.
16. The official PA daily: 4 terrorists involved in murdering 117 Israelis are “heroic”:
The official PA daily reported on the visit of the Palestinian Prisoners’ Center for Studies to the homes of terrorists serving life sentences for murder. The PA daily referred to the terrorists as follows: “The heroic prisoners Abbas and Abdallah Barghouti, Mahmoud Issa, Jamal Abu Al-Haija, Hassan Salameh…”
Abdallah Barghouti – sentenced to 67 life sentences for involvement in suicide bombing attacks in which 66 Israelis were murdered: Sbarro restaurant (Aug. 9, 2001), Moment Cafe (March 9, 2002), and triple suicide bombing at Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall (Dec. 1, 2001).
Hassan Salameh – 38 life sentences. Was head of the terror infrastructure which carried out 2 suicide bombing attacks on buses in Jerusalem (Feb. 25, 1996, March 3, 1996), and the suicide bombing at the Ashkelon Junction (Feb. 25, 1996).
Jamal Abu Al-Haija – 9 life sentences for involvement in suicide bombing attacks in Hadera shopping mall (Oct. 26, 2005) and at Herzl Street in Netanya (Dec. 5, 2005)
Mahmoud Issa – serving 3 life sentences. Member of the squad that kidnapped and murdered Israeli soldiers, including Nissim Toledano (Dec. 13, 1992).
17. Official PA TV glorified terrorist Dalal Mughrabi to celebrate Fatah anniversary:
On the anniversary of the Fatah movement, PA TV chose to glorify the most lethal terror attack in Israel’s history with a music video celebrating Dalal Mughrabi and the attack she led. The video shows a reenactment the terrorists coming from Lebanon to Israel in boats.
18. Official PA TV honored the woman who drove a suicide terrorist to his bombing that murdered 15 in pizza shop attack:
PA TV broadcast a program honoring Ahlam Tamimi, the woman who drove the suicide terrorist to the Sbarro pizza restaurant in Jerusalem in August 2001. 15 people were murdered in the attack, 7 of them children. Visiting Tamimi’s home, the PA TV crew interviewed her relatives, and the camera focused on an award which read:
19. Official PA TV honored driver of suicide terrorist who murdered 19 on bus:
Pages: 1 2