The more of the story comes out, the more it looks like this was an inconceivable array of negligence strung together by men and women who took their guidance from the incompetence displayed by Obama and Hillary at the top.
According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and “lockdown”, under which movement is severely restricted.
Well of course not, that might have upset the Libyans and all the diplomatic initiatives being rolled out.
According to security sources the consulate had been given a “health check” in preparation for any violence connected to the 9/11 anniversary. In the event, the perimeter was breached within 15 minutes of an angry crowd starting to attack it at around 10pm on Tuesday night.
There was, according to witnesses, little defence put up by the 30 or more local guards meant to protect the staff. Ali Fetori, a 59-year-old accountant who lives near by, said: “The security people just all ran away and the people in charge were the young men with guns and bombs.”
Wissam Buhmeid, the commander of the Tripoli government-sanctioned Libya’s Shield Brigade, effectively a police force for Benghazi, maintained that it was anger over the Mohamed video which made the guards abandon their post. “There were definitely people from the security forces who let the attack happen because they were themselves offended by the film; they would absolutely put their loyalty to the Prophet over the consulate. The deaths are all nothing compared to insulting the Prophet.”
This is of course a load of nonsense, but it’s a convenient defense that avoids an admission of cowardice or complicity, both of which are likely true.
And the bad news doesn’t end with the actual attack.
The US administration is now facing a crisis in Libya. Sensitive documents have gone missing from the consulate in Benghazi and the supposedly secret location of the “safe house” in the city, where the staff had retreated, came under sustained mortar attack. Other such refuges across the country are no longer deemed “safe”. Some of the missing papers from the consulate are said to list names of Libyans who are working with Americans, putting them potentially at risk from extremist groups.
And if the looters didn’t know what they had before this story ran, they sure know it now. But this is The Independence, which unlike its American lefty media counterparts, is gleefully eating up the story.
The British press, unlike its American counterparts, is under no obligation to make Obama seem competent. Just the opposite.