Benghazi Consulate was Tasked with Training Islamist Militia Members


While Obama stonewalls, more and more information keeps leaking out about the events surrounding the attack. And each new piece of information somehow manages to make Benghazigate seem even worse.

The latest tidbit is an interview with some of the guards from the Islamist militia tasked with guarding the Benghazi consulate.

The guards were members of the February 17 Brigade, a militia linked to the Muslim Brotherhood. Despite being hired to guard the consulate, the militia members were apparently supposed to be armed and trained by the US consulate.

The State Department, instead of providing proper security, was using the consulate to train Islamist militia.

The February 17 Brigade had early warning that an attack would happen and the guards clearly knew that the attackers would not fire if they knew they were Feb 17.

One guard said that his team had received information on August 28, 2012 about a possible attack on the diplomatic compound from its unit (i.e. Special Protection Unit/February 17 Brigade), and that warning had remained in effect until September 11, the day of the attack.

Another guard said that on the morning of the attack, the consulate had asked the Libyan security unit assigned to it to increase the number of its security vehicles outside the compound to 10, and to send 25 additional guards – but that for an unknown reason, the consulate later cancelled that request.

‘Ali also said that an hour and a half prior to the attack he received a phone call from one of his friends warning him “non-specific[ally]” about possible demonstrations and disturbances in areas nearby. He decided not to report the phone call to the security team, but instead took it upon himself to personally investigate the matter.

Realizing that he remained alone and might be killed, ‘Ali said that he yelled to his attackers, “I am [a member] of the February 17 Brigade. Don’t attack me… don’t shoot,” and that he told them that he was only assigned to do work outside the embassy and that he had happened to be drinking tea at the main gate.

Ali’s entire narrative probably cannot be trusted, but it indicates that there was forewarning and that the ties between Feb 17 and the consulate and Feb 17 and the attackers who were members of a Feb 17 splinter group left the consulate vulnerable to infiltration and attack.

  • Asher

    The details continue to show an accurate picture of more uprisings and death, not Democracy. Americans had better think twice about working for the Obama administration.

  • http://www.facebook.com/bruce.carter.52 Bruce Carter

    Can somebody explain this to me? We now know that security was removed from the Benghazi consulate even when the Ambassador was requesting more security in the wake of increasing violence and actual attacks on his and neighboring consulates. Why? We now know that the staff sent a broadcast email alert to over 300 officials in the Obama Administration and Intelligence Community who were able to watch video in real time as the attack took place. We had drones overhead, a gunship capable of shooting everyone outside the consulate and QR Teams (Quick Response) who could have engaged the enemy within 20 minutes. None of these resources were used to protect the consulate. Why? During all this Ansar al-Sharia (a terrorist group) claimed responsibility for the Benghazi attack on Facebook and Twitter, and threatened to attack the Tripoli embassy. But for nearly two weeks the story from Obama and State Dept officials including Hillary Clinton claim a “mob” was responsible because they had been upset my the “movie” that nobody saw. Why?

    • http://www.facebook.com/bruce.carter.52 Bruce Carter

      Now, weeks later, we are told by Obama that we are doing everything we can to bring the terrorists to justice but our investigators sit on their butts waiting for visas we don’t need. Why? And as we do everything a superpower can do with our infinite resources to locate these terrorists, it is a reporter from the NY Times that finds the ringleader drinking a frappe while bragging about his success in destroying the American consulate and mocking us as a nation. Why? Can somebody please tell me why? I’d really like to know. I mean, if the Times can find him, couldn’t the CIA or FBI? And if we believe they can…why are they not acting? Could this be the “October Surprise” we’re hearing so much about. Is it conceivable that our Diplomat and staff were offered up as sacrificial lambs so Obama could rush in with a big victory over terrorism just before the election to offset his decline in the polls and look like a leader again?

      • http://www.facebook.com/bruce.carter.52 Bruce Carter

        I hate to think any American can sink this low but the stories from the White House and undisputed facts conflict so sharply…it boggles the mind. Can it be that the consulate wasn’t defended on purpose and the capture or killing of those responsible is being delayed per an agenda? Look, I’m a simple guy trying to make sense of an illogical situation. Somebody please show me where I’m wrong. PLEASE!