Forget all those warships and soldiers you’re seeing on the news. They’re an empty show being put on by Obama to avoid looking weak in front of the American people. Despite all the tough talk on the front covers of every newspaper, it’s still absolutely business as usual and instead of the US military taking action in Libya, the investigation will be headed up by Attorney General Eric Holder and the FBI.
Marines are on the ground in Tripoli. Two Navy ships are speeding toward Libyan waters. And neither they, nor the rest of the U.S. military, are involved in fulfilling President Obama’s pledge to bring the perpetrators of Tuesday’s lethal assault on a U.S. consulate to justice.
The military is staying out of the hunt, at least for now. Although it initially appeared Wednesday that Gen. Carter Ham, the commander of U.S. forces in Africa, would play a leading role in commanding a force for those responsible for killing four U.S. diplomats in Libya, the Defense Department is limiting its role in Libya to securing the embassy and protecting remaining U.S. nationals in country.
The search will be spearheaded by the FBI, as is the case with many investigations overseas involving harm done to U.S. nationals, such as the 1996 Khobar Towers bombing in Saudi Arabia.
The problem with this reasoning is that the Benghazi attacks were carried out by an existing militia and involved as many as 400 attackers. And Libya is not a functioning country with a functioning law enforcement apparatus.
After Obama’s Libyan War, the new Libyan government has made it clear that it will not stop Islamists from carrying out domestic purges.
He defended the security forces decision not to confront the attackers and suggested the heavily-armed groups might out-gun government forces.
“If we deal with this using security we will be forced to use weapons, and these groups have huge amounts of weapons. We can’t be blind to this. These groups are large in power and number in Libya. I can’t enter a losing battle (with them), to kill people over a grave,” he told reporters.
The Libyans expect us to do something. Obama expects the Libyans to do something.
“They have to show a fist of steel,” said Mohammed el-Kish, a former press officer with the National Transitional Council which handed over power last month to Libya’s newly elected congress. “They have got to rid us of these people.”
Instead Obama is sending the FBI to liaise with the same rotten Libyan security forces who tipped off the Jihadist militias as to the location of the safe house.
Meanwhile the State Department is showing a continuing pattern of trying to break its ties with the military by spending 1 billion dollars on a drone fleet. The request is insane and senseless, but they’ll probably get it, even as the military budget is being drastically cut.
The State Department did not have Marine guards to avoid offending Muslim locals. A drone fleet is not going to protect them against another attack nor will an FBI investigation in coordination with the Libyan authorities do much of anything about the sizable numbers of Islamist fighters in the country.