I know they’re calling the illegal alien amnesty, “comprehensive reform”, but I think Schumer, McCain and Rubio might be putting a little too much confidence in the power of amnesty to reform criminals.
The eligibility criteria established for the Schumer-Rubio amnesty, S.744, are so generous that 45 percent of the criminal aliens in ICE’s recent caseload would qualify for legal status, according to the Center for Immigration Studies’ examination of ICE records. Tens of thousands of illegal immigrants with criminal convictions, and tens of thousands of aliens with arrests on top of serious immigration violations would be legalized under the provisions of the Gang of Eight bill. The proposed amnesty would significantly curtail ICE efforts to expel immigrants who have been a threat to public safety in American communities, including gang members, drunk drivers, and other offenders considered non-serious by the bill’s proponents.
At least it’s not like gang members are responsible for the majority of murders in Chicago. Oh wait… they are. But that just means we need to pass a gun amnesty that will legalize gun violence. If it works for illegal immigration, why not illegal gun violence?
“It’s no wonder so many law enforcement leaders have gone public with their opposition to the Schumer-Rubio amnesty bill. This measure will legalize tens of thousands of offenders who should be deported instead. I shudder to think about how many Americans and legal immigrants will become the victims of their future crimes. The Gang of Eight seems more intent on protecting lawbreakers than protecting our communities.”
While interior enforcement and removals of convicted criminals have declined very noticeably in the last two years under the Obama administration’s “prosecutorial discretion” policies, ICE has continued to remove some of the aliens who are referred after arrest by state, local, and federal law enforcement agencies under the Secure Communities program. In the most recent six-month reporting period (October 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013), ICE removed 38,547 aliens who had been identified as a result of arrest by a state, local, or other federal law enforcement agency. Of these, 55 percent (21,339) were convicted of a felony or at least three misdemeanors. The other 45 percent (17,208) were lesser offenders who would be exempt from deportation and eligible for legalization under the Schumer-Rubio amnesty.
Why even bother deporting the other 55 percent? They’re probably just misguided DREAMERs. Let’s give them amnesty too and see how it works out. Our economy will be stimulated by all the crime.