AFRICOM General: We Knew Benghazi was a Terror Attack

Daniel Greenfield, a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the Freedom Center, is a New York writer focusing on radical Islam. He is completing a book on the international challenges America faces in the 21st century.


general-gen-carter-ham

A bunch of retired or retiring generals are suddenly saying inconvenient things. Inconvenient for Obama Inc.

The former head of U.S. forces in Africa, General Carter Ham, told the Aspen Security Forum that it quickly became clear the assault on the American consulate in Benghazi last year was a terrorist attack and not a spontaneous demonstration.

“It became apparent to all of us quickly that this was not a demonstration, this was a violent attack,” Ham said. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton initially had portrayed the embassy attack as a response to an inflammatory internet video.

Ham said he was in Washington D.C. for a routine meeting on September 11, 2012 with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Martin Dempsey, when an alert came in from commanders in Stuttgart, Germany that a violent assault was underway on the consulate in Benghazi and Ambassador Chris Stevens was missing.

Asked if it was a terrorist attack, Ham said the intelligence left no doubt that it was.

“I don’t know if that was my first reaction, but pretty quickly as we started to gain understanding within the hours after the initiation of the attack, yes.”

Everyone knew it was a terrorist attack. But that information was censured under pressure from Victoria Nuland, who was rewarded for her chicanery with a promotion. Petraeus was taken down with an inappropriate investigation into his private life. And Hillary, oh what difference does it make?

  • Christopher Riddle

    General Ham is typical of military that become MORE interested in”Politics”than the defense of The Nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    • DogmaelJones1

      Christopher: You should at least be grateful that Ham has spoken up. The actual witnesses to the attack, the people who were there, have been sworn against their will to keep their mouths shut, with the threat to them that bad things may happen if they speak up and tell the truth.

      • Christopher Riddle

        I am grateful,and if I misjudged General Ham,I’m sorry!

    • Drakken

      General Ham was in the process of sending SF to help and was threatened by someone in the administration who temporarily relieved him of command. We have a purging of the General staff unseen since the days of Stalin.

      • Christopher Riddle

        I wasn’t aware of that.We all know how much Obama and his band of Leftist,Marxist,Racist Chicago Thugs HATE The US Military!!

    • Mike Zunino

      Uh….Ham was relieved of command when he disobeyed Obamateur’s unlawful order to stand down; Ham WANTED to do what Obamateur didn’t, which was attempt to save Americans under siege.
      Obamateur is the Coward in Chief.

  • Dave Henry

    Will anyone that didn’t IMMEDIATELY think that this was a terror attack please leave a comment?

    • Stephen Zeigler

      on behalf of obama I will anwser that question as a NO, Quite please I need to make this putt.Oh your question, “Well No we didn’t think, I mean after all the money we have sent the brotherhood and rockets we gave them, and I even sent them F-18 fighter jets…..what’s a poor Kenyen to do”.

  • tatave

    Nothing new,but a confirmation of what we all knew.

  • Lee Barker

    GEN Ham should have had enough testosterone to tell the truth BEFORE the election — he was as much as coward as most of our suck-up politically correct General Officers.

  • Mike Zunino

    So disturbing that Obamateur’s sheeple, & his acolytes in the mASS media, still dutifully swallow whatever his regime shovels them….