Sometimes I can’t help but think that the United Nations has turned into a giant global troll whose only purpose is to outrage critics by violating and destroying every principle it claims to stand for.
If there’s a women’s rights conference, the UN is sure to find a way to put Saudi Arabia or Pakistan in charge of it. If there’s a rape prevention panel, somehow Sudan will be sitting on it. And if there’s a disarmament conference, then the genocidal tyranny rushing to build a nuclear weapon will be the perfect choice.
Iran will chair the United Nations’ most important disarmament negotiating forum during the panel’s May session. The Conference of Disarmament reports to the UN General Assembly and is billed by the UN as “the single multilateral disarmament negotiating forum of the international community.”
Iran will assume the presidency of the Conference on Disarmament on May 27 and hold it over four weeks, until June 23.
The conference chair helps organize the work of the conference and assists in setting the agenda.
The conference and its predecessors have negotiated such major multilateral arms limitation and disarmament agreements as:
• Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
• Convention on the Prohibition of Military or Any Other Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques
• Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production and Stockpiling of Bacteriological (Biological) and Toxin Weapons and on their Destruction
• Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production, Stockpiling and Use of Chemical Weapons and on Their Destruction
• Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty
“This is like putting Jack the Ripper in charge of a women’s shelter,” said Hillel Neuer, executive director of UN Watch, the Geneva based non-governmental organization, which announced it will hold protest events outside the UN hall featuring Iranian dissidents.
“Iran is an international outlaw state that illegally supplies rockets to Syria, Hezbollah, and Hamas, aiding and abetting mass murder and terrorism. To make this rogue regime head of world arms control is simply an outrage. Abusers of international norms should not be the public face of the UN.”
But they are. Which tells you everything that you need to know about the UN.