- FrontPage Magazine - http://www.frontpagemag.com -
Senator McCain Urges Congress to Protect Obama’s Threat Credibility
Posted By Daniel Greenfield On September 1, 2013 @ 3:59 pm In The Point | 41 Comments
Senator McCain has had a busy day making a variety of confused statements
1. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is “euphoric” about President Obama’s surprise announcement Saturday that he will seek congressional authorization for a limited strike in the war-torn country, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said Sunday on “Face the Nation.”
2. Senator John McCain, R-Ariz., criticized President Barack Obama’s plans for limited air strikes on Syria as “cosmetic” Friday, saying the failure of the United States to intervene in the country’s civil war was “shameful.”
3. “We’re in a bit of a dilemma here, because I think Senator Lindsey Graham and I and others will be wanting a strategy, a plan, rather than just, ‘We’re going to launch some cruise missiles and that’s it.’”
4. “The consequences of the Congress of the United States overriding a decision of the President of the United States of this magnitude are really very, very serious,” he said. “And already we’re sending a bad signal to Iran, to North Korea, to Bashar al-Assad. But if we overrode the president’s decision, and did nothing?”
McCain does have a point on the last one. This whole thing is sending a terrible message, but starting a war that will aid our enemies to avoid looking stupid because Obama shot his mouth off sounds even worse.
Senator McCain wants regime change strikes. He ridicules Obama for going to Congress for approval and then proposes an even more radical version of Obama’s war plan.
“When Mr. Obama said the use of chemical weapons in Syria would mark a “red line” that Assad wouldn’t be allowed to cross with impunity, McCain said, “he didn’t say, ‘It’s a red line – and by the way I’m going to have to seek the approval of Congress.’ He said it was a red line, and that the United States of America would act. And that’s a big difference, and that’s one of the reasons why this is so problematic.”
But does Senator McCain really believe that the United States should be obligated to break its own laws because its current elected leader says something stupid?
How many people have to die for the sake of a credibility that frankly doesn’t exist?
Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://www.frontpagemag.com
URL to article: http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/senator-mccain-urges-congress-to-protect-obamas-threat-credibility/
Copyright © 2009 FrontPage Magazine. All rights reserved.