Who knew that Benghazi was so dangerous?
Bad ideas don’t get any dumber than the UK aid convoy to Gaza which involved driving 5,000 miles through France, Spain, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt to get to Gaza.
If something smells fishy about this plan being a publicity stunt rather than an aid delivery, then you’re just seeing the obvious. This convoluted stunt broke down in Egypt after the authorities wouldn’t let the convoy cross into Gaza.
At which point the already bad idea got even worse as some of the Muslims with UK citizenship decided to go back to the UK by way of Benghazi.
The incident took place on Tuesday, when two groups from the aid mission, a British-Pakistani family – a father with his two daughters – and another man and a woman, decided to leave the convoy, which was being delayed at the Libyan-Egyptian border, and return to the UK.
The five took a taxi back to Benghazi but were stopped at the Sidi Al-Faraj checkpoint by members of the Libyan regular army. They were then kidnapped and taken to a farm in the Sellouk area, where at least one of the girls was sexually assaulted. Four of the kidnapped Britons managed to escape and found a local police station. The fifth was later rescued.
It is not clear how many of the three kidnapped women were abused. It has been reported that one was raped. Deputy Prime Minister Awadh al-Barassi said in a statement released on his Facebook page that both daughters had been “brutally raped” in front of their father. “I express my very deep sorrow at what happened,” he said.
“This heinous incident does not under any circumstances reflect the genuine generosity and morality of the Libyan people or the traditions of Arab-Islamic culture,” Barassi said, “and I demand the authorities to take the necessary action.”
Err yes. I think we all know about the traditions of Arab-Islamic culture when it comes to raping women.
The convoy people are trying to spin this as not a rape, but just touching. But the Libyans, who have every reason to minimize this, are saying something different.
Libya’s deputy prime minister Al-Barassi told Libya al-Hurra TV late Thursday that he has met the women and they are in “very bad shape”.
Compare that to the claims from the convoy reported in The Guardian.
A supporter of the convoy, writing on the All United for Free Palestine page, said five people had been kidnapped, but said that reports in foreign media that two females had been raped were inaccurate. “I stress that the report of the two females being raped is not true. All are now safe and being looked after Alhamdulilah.”
I just bet.