- FrontPage Magazine - http://www.frontpagemag.com -
Hate Messages at Oberlin Revealed to be Hoax by Obama-Supporting Leftist
Posted By Sara Dogan On August 30, 2013 @ 12:28 am In Campus Roundup,Daily Mailer,FrontPage | No Comments
• The perpetrators of a series of alleged bias incidents at Oberlin College have been caught—and one of them is a fervent leftist who helped organize a voting drive for President Obama and is a member of a group called Ithaca White Allies Against Structural Racism. The incidents, which included posting racist, anti-Semitic and antigay messages and graffiti around the campus and harassing a female student, sparked a one-day cancellation of classes so that students could attend a teach-in on the evils of racism and homophobia.
• Administrators at the University of Denver have refused calls by students and alumni to reinstate “Denver Boone,” a Daniel Boone-like figure who wears a coon-skin cap, as the University mascot on grounds that he doesn’t adequately represent the diverse student body at UD. “Boone was a polarizing figure that did not reflect the growing diversity of the UD community, but rather was an image that many women, persons of color, international students and faculty members found difficult to relate to as defining the pioneering spirit,” Chancellor Robert Coombe stated in a letter to the university community.
• Harvard University has hired former democratic mayor of Los Angeles, Antonio Villaraigosa, as a “visiting fellow” for the upcoming fall semester, despite numerous scandals surrounding Villaraigosa’s campaigns and time in office. Among these blots on his record are the 31 ethics violations alleged by the Los Angeles Ethics Commission during his 2003 bid for City Council and his use of nearly half a million dollars in federal stimulus funds to refit the mayoral yacht.
• The president of Biola University, a private Christian school in Southern California, has issued an apology to pro-life nursing student Diana Jimenez who faced threats from a campus security guard when she attempted to display an image of an aborted fetus on campus. The security guard had ordered Jimenez to leave campus grounds and stated that he could prevent her from attending her graduation the following week if she did not comply.
Further news from the campuses:
How Oberlin Manufactured the Hate-Crime Hoax of the Year
Busted. Stone-cold busted. Just as I suspected, “progressive” pranksters at Oberlin College have been definitively unmasked as the perpetrators of phony campus “hate crimes” that scored international headlines in March. The blabbermouth academic administrators who helped fuel the hysteria are now running for cover.
Coastal Carolina University Bans the Local Alternative Newspaper from Campus [TheFire.org]
It is generally accepted wisdom that colleges and universities stopped acting in loco parentis (in the place of parents) in the 1960s. But I’m beginning to wonder about that, given the latest campus attack on the First Amendment ostensibly to protect college students from bad influences.
Conservative Professor Writes Devastating Response to Liberal Hater [The College Fix]
Mike Adams, a criminology professor at the University of North Carolina Wilmington recently received a note from a student informing him that he is “the biggest embarrassment to higher education in America.” Adams’s response is, well, quite an entertaining read.
Furor at U. of Sydney Over Photos of Student Vulvas [InsideHigherEd.com]
The University of Sydney is debating the censorship of the cover of a student newspaper — Honi Soit — which was forced to place black bars over portions of 18 photographs of students’ vulvas. The Student Representative Council, which publishes the paper, ordered the addition of the black bars, citing Australian laws on obscenity, The Sydney Morning Herald reported.
Queer Feminism: White Supremacy, Colonialism, Contributed to Trayvon Martin Killing, Says Prof [CampusReform.org]
Capitalism and white supremacy both played roles in the killing of Trayvon Martin, a public university professor said last Thursday.
Dr. Erica R. Meiners, a professor in the Gender and Women’s Studies Department at Northeastern Illinois University, made the remarks while speaking on a panel of self-described “queer feminist scholars.”
Five Pillars of Islam Display Removed From Elementary School After Viral Photo Resulted in Nationwide Backlash [TheBlaze.com]
School administrators have removed a large, controversial illustration of the Five Pillars of Islam, after a picture of the display went viral over the weekend and drew unwanted attention to the school.
North Carolina Becomes First State to Guarantee College Students’ Right to Attorney [TheFire.org]
RALEIGH, N.C., August 23, 2013—Today, North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory signed a bill granting public university students in the state facing non-academic disciplinary charges the right to an attorney. The law, which is the first of its kind nationwide, ensures that students attending the state’s public colleges and universities possess rights similar to those already enjoyed by North Carolina’s K–12 students under state law.
NAACP, Dartmouth Administrators, to Regulate Future Frat Party Themes [CampusReform.org]
The National Association of Colored People (NAACP), Dartmouth College student groups, and administrators are working to implement policies that will prevent students from throwing parties with offensive themes.
Daniel Boone-Like Mascot for Denver College Deemed Offensive by Administration [FoxNews.com]
Is a cartoon-like college mascot reminiscent of Daniel Boone — right down to the legendary coonskin cap — racist, sexist or otherwise offensive?
Colleges Shouldn’t Suppress Students’ Speech, Thought [The Post Crescent]
The purpose of an educational institution is to cultivate thought, reason and the knowledge necessary to be a productive part of society.
Calif. Governor Signs Transgender Bathroom Bill [FoxNews.com]
California has become the first state in the nation to allow boys and girls access to the bathrooms and locker rooms of their choice — regardless of their gender.
Professor Refuses Mandatory Sexual Harrassment Training [The College Fix]
Walter Williams, an economics professor at George Mason University, rebuked his campus and all academic elite on college campuses in his latest syndicated column.
As usual, he did it with style and flair, explaining why he plans to refuse to submit to his school’s reportedly mandatory in-person Equal Opportunity and Prevention of Sexual Harassment Policies and Procedures training.
Freedom Center pamphlets now available on Kindle: Click here.
Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://www.frontpagemag.com
URL to article: http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/sara-dogan/hate-messages-at-oberlin-revealed-to-be-hoax-by-obama-supporting-leftist/
Copyright © 2009 FrontPage Magazine. All rights reserved.