- FrontPage Magazine - http://www.frontpagemag.com -
Kansas Journalism Prof to NRA: ‘Next Time, Let It Be Your Sons and Daughters’ Who Are Shot
Posted By Sara Dogan On September 30, 2013 @ 12:15 am In Campus Roundup,Daily Mailer,FrontPage | 16 Comments
• University of Kansas journalism professor David Guth has been suspended from his teaching duties after he responded to the horrific Navy Yard shooting by stating his wish on twitter that the next crazed gunman would kill the children of members of the National Rifle Association. Guth’s tweet read: “#NavyYardShooting The blood is on the hands of the #NRA. Next time, let it be YOUR sons and daughters. Shame on you. May God damn you.” In a statement released by KU, Ann Brill, dean of the William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications in which Guff taught, stated, “While the First Amendment allows anyone to express an opinion, that privilege is not absolute and must be balanced with the rights of others. That’s vital to civil discourse. Professor Guth’s views do not represent our school and we do not advocate violence directed against any group or individuals.”
• A textbook used to teach Advanced Placement History at Guyer High School in Denton, incorrectly summarizes the Second Amendment, making it appear that it pertains only to soldiers in a “state militia” and not to ordinary citizens. The summary provided in the text reads, “The people have a right to keep and bear arms in a state militia.” By contrast, the actual Second Amendment to the United States Constitution holds that “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” The textbook is also used at an indeterminate number of other high schools.
• A student who attempted to pass out copies of the United States Constitution on Constitution Day, September 17, at Modesto Junior College in California was told that his actions violated the rules of the College. The student, 25-year-old Robert Van Tuinen, was confronted by an intimidating campus security guard who claimed that he could only do so in a tiny free speech zone, and that he was required to fill out forms to schedule his distribution of materials in advance. Van Tuinen caught the exchange on video and is being supported by the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education which called the incident “depressing and nauseating.” The College claims to be “looking into the incident.”
• The regents of Colorado University, in a unanimous vote, passed a resolution adding “political affiliation” to the school’s non-discrimination policy, thereby ensuring that conservative students are protected from professors who might penalize them for their political views in class. The University will also conduct a study to determine whether professors are respectful of students who differ with their (typically leftist) views in the classroom. These decisions put into place protections that Students for Academic Freedom, a program of the David Horowitz Freedom Center, first attempted to enact in 2003.
Further news from the campuses:
Sex Ed at UCLA [NationalReview.com]
When two freshman sisters at UCLA were told their mandatory orientation on sexual harassment would include a section on sex education, they respectfully requested exemption from that part of the program. As Catholics, Angelica and Bella Ayala did not want to participate in the sex-ed presentation — which discussed, among other topics, how to put on a condom and how to ask someone to have sex with you — because contraception and premarital sex violate their moral code. But the two girls were swiftly reprimanded for their small protest and told they were required to attend another session, even if it violated their conscience.
Professor Claims Navy Yard Shooting Was Staged [The College Fix]
A Florida Atlantic University communications professor known for conspiracy theories has posted a series of pictures, audio clips, memos and news reports on his blog that he believes adds up to indicate the Navy Yard shooting in Washington D.C. was staged.
Ultra-liberal Professor Disrupts College Republican Meeting with Vulgar Rant [FoxNews.com]
From that great bastion of academic freedom known as Temple University comes another example of a liberal professor bullying conservative students with a bevy of F-bombs.
Journalism Professor Says He Hopes for Murder of NRA Members’ Children [CampusReform.org]
A journalism professor at the University of Kansas (KU) turned to Twitter on Monday to suggest he would like to see the murder of children of National Rifle Association (NRA) members at the hands of a deranged gunman.
The Right Stuff on Campus [NationalReview.com]
It’s easy for conservatives to write off college campuses as impenetrable liberal strongholds and to regard women students in particular as a lost cause. But three efforts to reach young women with conservative ideas — a magazine, a speaker recruitment, and a campus-based organization — demonstrate that conservatives can make some headway.
High School Textbook Rewrites Second Amendment–Literally [Breitbart.com]
The authors of United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination have taken it upon themselves to change the Constitution of the United States. The high school textbook contains a summary of each Amendment that alters the initial intent in which they were created.
Professors Launch Howard Zinn Read-In To Protest Conservative Viewpoints [The College Fix]
An observance in adoration of the late historian Howard Zinn – a controversial Marxist known to spew anti-American, anti-Western opinions in his textbooks and an admitted social activist – has been organized by Purdue University professors, who have asked their peers across the country to take part in a Howard Zinn Read-In this November.
‘Students of Color Only’ [InsideHigherEd.com]
A Texas Christian University professor reached out in an e-mail to a group of students he deemed to be “of color” to help them succeed in his class. But the move backfired with at least one student, who was insulted at being included for her perceived ethnicity.
Middle East Map Stirs Controversy on Campus [Daily Aztec]
On the first week of school San Diego State students enrolled in an Arabic 101 class received a map of the Middle East highlighting Arabic-speaking countries.
Days later, a call for action was issued by Stand With Us, a pro-Israeli nonprofit organization, to take a stance against the map, which had omitted Israel and labeled the territory as Palestine.
College Set to Host Former-Terrorist Bill Ayers for ‘Queering Education’ Speech [CampusReform.org]
Bill Ayers, a professor known for engaging in terrorist activities in the 1970s, is set to speak at Gettysburg College (GC) next Tuesday, Campus Reform has learned.
According to the event’s poster, Ayers will deliver a speech on “queering education” which will be sponsored by nGender, a program at GC that meets bi-weekly to “dialogue on gender issues,” according to the school’s official website.
California College Forbids Passing Out Constitutions … On Constitution Day [TheFire.org]
MODESTO, Calif., September 19, 2013—In a stunning illustration of the attitude taken towards free speech by too many colleges across the United States, Modesto Junior College in California told a student that he could not pass out copies of the United States Constitution outside the student center on September 17, 2013—Constitution Day.
Community Considers Political Speech on First Amendment Day [Daily Tar Heel]
For sophomore Lea Palmer, the right to free speech comes with a risk.
“I’d be worried about walking back into a classroom after saying I was conservative, just because of the looks I’d get from people,” said Palmer, who is a member of UNC’s College Republicans.
University’s Young Democrats President is a Convicted Child Sex Offender [CampusReform.org]
The president of the University of Texas-Pan American (UTPA) Young Democrats chapter is a convicted child sex offender, Campus Reform has learned.
Bill “Billy” Wayne Johnson, who is listed on the school’s official website as the primary contact for the student organization, was registered as a sex offender in April of 2010, according to Texas DPS SEX Offender registry.
Freedom Center pamphlets now available on Kindle: Click here.
Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://www.frontpagemag.com
URL to article: http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/sara-dogan/kansas-journalism-prof-to-nra-next-time-let-it-be-your-sons-and-daughters-who-are-shot/
Copyright © 2009 FrontPage Magazine. All rights reserved.