- FrontPage Magazine - http://www.frontpagemag.com -
Dartmouth Leftists Bar Conservatives from MLK Day Planning, Stage Protest of “White Supremacy”
Posted By Sara Dogan On January 25, 2014 @ 6:38 pm In Campus Roundup,Daily Mailer | 7 Comments
• Two staffers for the conservative campus paper, The Dartmouth Review, were denied entry  to a strategy session held by leftist campus activists on how to commemorate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on campus after admitting that they were not registered Democrats. When the students attempted to enter the meeting, they were halted at the door by one of the organizers who demanded to know their political affiliation. After stating that they were “registered independents” the Review staffers were told that the meeting was private and they could not attend. “What I am really frustrated at is the fact that we can’t have reasonable discussions about these issues,” commented Sandor Farkas, one of the students denied access to the meeting. “It has to be very private, secretive – and I don’t think that represents the spirit of MLK or in trying to create an awareness of various issues.”
• During the subsequent events  held for MLK Day, Dartmouth student Jalil Bishop, who is the president of the campus Afro-American Society, delayed the invited keynote speaker, ABC News correspondent John Quinones, from taking the podium for 20 minutes, while he led the audience in an angry protest. As part of the protest, large numbers of sign-carrying students mounted the stage to join Bishop while shouting, “No justice! No peace!” Bishop continued to address the audience, urging it to “stand if you understand that we must eradicate white supremacy” and stating that Dartmouth is “complicit in failing to break down the structure that keeps so many black and brown bodies across the country and around the world marginalized, and keeps so many white bodies benefiting from that marginalization.”
• Florida Carry, Inc., a pro-Second Amendment group that defends citizens’ rights to carry firearms, has filed a lawsuit  against the University of Florida alleging that the University has disregarded a previous ruling stating that its campus gun regulations are unconstitutional. Current UF policy prohibits the carrying of firearms or weapons anywhere on university property. Florida Carry alleges that instead of heeding calls to reform these unconstitutional policies, the University merely added an “Intent” footnote to its current regulations. “Nationwide, millions of adult university faculty, students, and their families live in university owned housing,” states Florida Carry’s press release. “The fact that state housing facilities run by Florida Universities continue to deprive law abiding adults of their fundamental right to keep and bear arms in their homes, years after the clear decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court that such bans are unconstitutional, is unconscionable.”
• The 2014 annual Modern Language Association convention, a gathering of literary academics, featured a roundtable discussion on “Academic Boycotts: A Conversation about Israel and Palestine which included supporters of the anti-Semitic Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel, but no opponents . Pro-Israel groups Hillel International and Israel on Campus Coalition attempted to host a discussion at the convention but were denied by the MLA which claimed they had submitted their application too late. Participants at the roundtable on Israel included Omar Barghouti, the co-founder of the BDS movement, as well as Wesleyan professor Richard Ohmann who signed a letter declaring that Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians constitutes “one of the most massive, ethnocidal atrocities of modern times.”
Further News From the Campuses:
Whistle Blower Blocked [InsideHigherEd.com]
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has revoked a reading specialist and adjunct professor’s permission to discuss her research or otherwise use her data on student athlete literacy, just weeks after she was featured in a network news story on the topic.
Read more 
Partial Victory Over Anti-Israel Efforts at 2014 MLA Convention Shows Battle Winnable [LegalInsurrection.com]
On Saturday, the Modern Language Association (MLA) Delegate Assembly suffered through more than four hours of parliamentary confusion as it considered two controversial resolutions related to Israel. Despite the rancor, pro-Israel advocates are savoring a partial victory as the 2014 MLA Convention concludes—the first such academic victory in recent memory.
Read more 
Public University Professors Invent Tool to Measure Faculty Attitudes Towards Diversity [Campus Reform]
Four professors at the University of Kansas (KU) claim to have developed an “instrument” which can determine faculty attitudes about diversity.
Read more 
Professors Deliberately Ignore Shooting, Endanger Students [Purdue Review]
A surreal scene unfolded around noon on Tuesday. As a gunman shot an instructor at point-blank range in front of a classroom of students, some Purdue professors continued to teach class as if nothing was amiss, ignoring students’ pleas to lock the doors and turn off the lights.
Read more 
Yale Unlearns Free Expression [TheFire.org]
The Yale Daily News reports  that Yale University is blocking a popular course evaluation site called CourseTable (originally called Bluebook+) put together by undergraduate brothers Peter Xu and Harry Yu. This is the second time Yale has tried to stifle a student website rating Yale’s courses and professors.
Read more 
Dissenters Not Welcome Here [Dartmouth Review]
In a civilized, open society, nothing is more sacred than freedom of expression. Despite what Dr. Rickford may think, constructive discourse involving all sides of an issue is and always will be the best way to make the world a better place.
Read more 
Why Are the Clintons Hawking a Seedy, Soros-Backed For-Profit College Corporation? [Daily Caller]
Former President Bill Clinton and presumed 2016 Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton have deep ties to Laureate Education, an international conglomerate of aggressive, telemarketing-happy, for-profit colleges that is ensnared in controversy all over the globe.
Read more 
Law School Bathrooms Go Gender Neutral to Promote ‘LGBTQ Diversity’ [Campus Reform]
Roger Williams University (RWU) Law in Bristol, R.I., instituted a gender neutral bathroom policy policy on Wednesday in order to accommodate LGBTQ students and emulate other “progressive” institutions.
Read more 
MLA Caucus Introduces Resolution in Support of Israel-Boycotting ASA [JNS.org]
(JNS.org) At the Modern Language Association (MLA) convention in Chicago on Friday, an MLA caucus introduced an “Emergency Resolution in Support of the American Studies Association,” JNS.org has learned. The American Studies Association (ASA) recently voted to endorse an academic boycott of Israel.
Read more 
Support Pours in for Grand Valley State Student Journalist Harangued by Administrators [TheFire.org]
We recently brought you the unfortunate story  of Grand Valley State University (GVSU) student and Grand Valley Lanthorn student newspaper editor-in-chief Lizzy Balboa, who was beleaguered by campus administrators for publishing an editorial  expressing concern that GVSU might be prioritizing donor appeasement over education, free speech rights, and academic freedom. Shockingly, administrators reportedly told Balboa that she was unworthy of her scholarship because she was “ungrateful,” and suggested that the Lanthorn retract its editorial and publish puff pieces expressing gratitude to donors.
Read more 
Freedom Center pamphlets now available on Kindle: Click here .
Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://www.frontpagemag.com
URL to article: http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/sara-dogan/dartmouth-leftists-bar-conservatives-from-mlk-day-planning-stage-protest-of-white-supremacy/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.frontpagemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/0508_photo_630x420.jpg
 denied entry: http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/15945/
 subsequent events: http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=5383
 filed a lawsuit: https://www.floridacarry.org/flcinews/93-florida-carry-sues-the-university-of-florida-for-illegal-ban-on-guns-and-other-defensive-weapons-in-cars-and-homes
 but no opponents: http://www.algemeiner.com/2014/01/02/pro-israel-college-groups-denied-chance-to-present-at-modern-language-association-conference/
 Read more: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/01/20/u-north-carolina-shuts-down-whistle-blower-athletes
 Read more: http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/01/partial-victory-over-anti-israel-efforts-at-2014-mla-convention-shows-battle-winnable/
 Read more: http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=5368
 Read more: http://www.purduereview.com/5/professors-deliberately-ignore-shooting-endanger-students/
 reports: http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2014/01/14/yale-shuts-down-yale-bluebook/
 Read more: http://thefire.org/torch/
 Read more: http://dartreview.com/dartlog/2014/1/14/dissenters-not-welcome-here.html
 Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/13/why-are-the-clintons-hawking-a-seedy-soros-backed-for-profit-college-corporation/
 Read more: http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=5355&app=cro
 Read more: http://www.jns.org/news-briefs/2014/1/10/mla-caucus-introduces-resolution-in-support-of-israel-boycotting-asa
 unfortunate story: http://thefire.org/article/16642.html
 publishing an editorial: http://www.lanthorn.com/article/2014/01/free-speech-and-the-business-model-of-education-at-gvsu
 Read more: http://thefire.org/article/16658.html
 Click here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref%3dnb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=david+horowitz&rh=n:133140011%2ck:david+horowitz&ajr=0#/ref=sr_st?keywords=david+horowitz&qid=1316459840&rh=n:133140011%2ck:david+horowitz&sort=daterank
Copyright © 2015 FrontPage Magazine. All rights reserved.