The Left marches in step to the expected Party Line.
- Professors at campuses across the nation have been quick to lay blame for the government shutdown. And they are not blaming Barack Obama or the Democrats. University of Pennsylvania Associate Professor Anthea Butler claimed on twitter that racism against President Obama was responsible for the shutdown stating that a previous shutdown had taken place under the leadership of “fake black president Clinton” but this time Republicans have a “real black president to mess with.”
- Assistant Professor Rachel Slocum at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse sent students in her geography class an email stating that “some of the data gathering assignment will be impossible to complete until the Republican/tea party controlled House of Representatives agrees to fund the government” due to the Census website, among other resources, being unavailable. When a student objected to the partisan email, Slocum sent a second email to her class claiming that she hadn’t “meant to be partisan” but still laying out essentially the same argument and further stating that “It’s important to recognize that within the Republican party there is disagreement over how to govern. Many are not happy with this all or nothing style that people on the far right (who refer to themselves as the Tea Party) are advocating.”
- Students at Columbia University and Barnard College staging a joint production of The Vagina Monologues have banned white students from participating in the performance on the grounds that the show “has historically overlooked the empowerment of women of color, queer women, and trans* folk, among others—often replicating and perpetuating the same systems of power and privilege that prompted the playwright, Eve Ensler, to write The Vagina Monologues in the first place.” The Facebook page for the event notes that the board’s decision to restrict participation to “self-identified women of color” was unanimous and will “center traditionally marginalized identities within the feminist community, creating a space in which the voices, stories, and experiences of women of color can be heard, acknowledged, and addressed.”
- University of Maryland administrator William Dorland, who serves as the director of the university’s Honors College, stated in an email welcoming students back to campus for the fall term that “This year, we learned that it is legal to hunt down and kill American children in Florida,” alluding to the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting of Trayvon Martin. Dorland continued on to note that, "This year, the most activist Supreme Court in the history of the United States and radical factions of gun owners, gun manufacturers, and marijuana users are challenging the very fabric of the nation...” Despite complaints from some students and faculty about the email, Dorland insisted “In my job here I'm pretty apolitical.”
- A pro-life demonstration held by Indiana University’s newly formed Students for Life chapter outside the student union was greeted with vandalism and hate-fueled comments on behalf of other students at the university. One student grabbed a number of the crosses which had been placed in the ground to signify deaths from abortion and threw them in the trash can. When asked to stop he shouted that abortion “was awesome” and “you are all ignorant people and need to keep your beliefs to yourself.” Another man was caught on video proclaiming “You’re in conflict with the world that I want, which is a world where all your churches burn.”
Further News from the Campuses
University of Montana Faculty Fight Back Against New Policies [TheFire.org]
University of Montana (UM) faculty members continue to voice significant concerns about the university’s new sexual harassment policies and procedures, approved by the Departments of Justice and Education last week. Faculty are concerned about a provision that requires staff training on sexual assault and requires that the university provide the Department of Justice with the names of faculty who do not attend this training. Further, as The Washington Free Beacon reports today, several faculty members were troubled by the new sexual harassment policy’s apparent presumption of guilt and authorization of punishment for protected speech.
UW professor: Tea Party supporters racist, sexist, homophobic [KiroTV.com]
A University of Washington political science associate professor who conducted research on the tea party said through observations, supporters “tended to be more racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic and anti-Obama.”
Anti-Zionism Arrives, in Disguise, at Indiana U. [Frontpage Magazine]
Competition for the most licentious definition of the term “criticism of Israel” conceived by the mind of man has for many years been intense. Given the number of academic scribblers with febrile imaginations who are profoundly troubled by having to share the globe with the state of Israel, this should come as no surprise.
California High School Forces Girl to Remove ‘Violent’ NRA T-shirt, Apologizes [Daily Caller]
School officials at Canyon High School in Anaheim, Calif. forced a student to change out of a t-shirt promoting the National Rifle Association.
Professor Tells Students Government Shutdown Is Republicans’ Fault [The College Fix]
A professor at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse recently told her students that Republicans and the Tea Party were to blame for the ongoing government shutdown and the reason they can’t finish their homework assignment.
Why the University of Kansas Was Wrong to Suspend Tweeting Professor [Huffington Post]
After the Washington, D.C., Navy Yard shootings last week, Professor David Guth of the University of Kansas (KU) sparked national controversy by tweeting the following: "#NavyYardShooting The blood is on the hands of the #NRA. Next time, let it be YOUR sons and daughters. Shame on you. May God damn you."
Universities Nationwide Champion Trayvon Martin, Claim Racism Still Exists [The College Fix]
Universities have gone gaga for Trayvon Martin, heralding the young man’s death as an iconic symbol of a racist, unfair America, according to a long and growing list of events hosted on college campuses across America since mid-August.
Professor Tweets Federal Shutdown is About Racism [The Tennessean]
A provocative religion commentator returned Wednesday to Twitter after some accused her of racism over her tweet that the government shutdown had racist underpinnings.
"Please note that the last govt shut down was with the fake black president Clinton. Now they are have a real black president to mess with," Anthea Butler, a University of Pennsylvania associate professor of religious studies and Vanderbilt University graduate, tweeted Monday. And later: "I'm going to bed. Sad thing is, when I wake up, these crazy republicans will still be frothing at the mouth while folks sign up 4Obamacare."
More Universities Now Admitting Undocumented Students [CNN.com]
Just last month, the University of Notre Dame said undocumented students who apply for undergraduate admission would now be accepted.
U. Texas Students Attacked for Their “Affirmative Action Bake Sale” [CollegeInsurrection.com]
There is a saying that you take flak only when over the target.
Given the outrage that conservative students at one Texas institution sparked after their bake sale, the message about the unfairness of affirmative action policies must have hit the mark.
Administration Deals Blow to Campus Censorship [FoxNews.com]
Campus speech codes and other regulations governing student behavior should not attempt to infringe on the free speech rights of students, the Department of Education warned colleges and universities.
After Told He’s Racist, UW-M Student Rejects Further Diversity ‘Training’ [The College Fix]
Jason Morgan, a University of Wisconsin-Madison student earning his doctorate there, has told his supervisor he objects to the school’s mandated diversity training for teaching assistants (TAs) because leaders of the first session he attended essentially called him – and the whole class – racist.
White Vaginas Banned for Ivy League Production of Vagina Monologues [Daily Caller]
At this year’s edition of “The Vagina Monologues” jointly staged by Columbia University and Barnard College, the producers have outlawed the vaginas of white students.
Student at Indiana University Vandalizes Pro-Life Display, Screams “Abortion is Awesome” [LifeNews.com]
Yesterday, the Students for Life at Indiana University gathered in Dunn Meadow outside of the Student Union as part of the Planned Parenthood Project tour that is visiting over 41 campuses across the United States this fall. This outreach opportunity was widely successful in communicating the truths regarding Planned Parenthood’s abortion business.
Professors Chide University of Kansas for Sanctions over Tweet [Associated Press]
University of Kansas anthropology professors are accusing school officials of violating the constitutional rights of a fellow professor by placing him on leave because of a post on Twitter.
Journalism professor David Guth got into hot water for a tweet aimed at the National Rifle Association after the Sept. 16 shootings at the Navy Yard in Washington, D.C., that left 13 dead.
School Official Tells Students Trayvon Martin Case Proved it is 'Legal to Hunt' Children [FoxNews.com]
An email sent to students by a University of Maryland official that cites the Trayvon Martin shooting as evidence "it is legal to hunt down and kill American children in Florida" is being blasted as the latest evidence of a left-wing bias on campus.
College Set to Host Former-Terrorist Bill Ayers for ‘Queering Education’ Speech [Campus Reform]
Bill Ayers, a professor known for engaging in terrorist activities in the 1970s, is set to speak at Gettysburg College (GC) next Tuesday, Campus Reform has learned.