The U.S. has enough evidence to seize the Benghazi killers by military force as terrorists, but not enough to try them in a U.S. civilian court as Obama prefers
Back in October of last year, Obama said of the Benghazi terrorist attack that "my biggest priority now is bringing those folks to justice and I think the American people have seen that’s a commitment I’ll always keep.”
Some of you might be skeptical about his commitment to
investigating Tea Party groups bringing the "folks" over for dinner and justice. But never fear. It's Obama's biggest priority. Right after amnesty for illegal aliens, banning guns and playing golf.
Also throwing concerts in the White House, doing comedy skits with reporters and well a whole bunch of other stuff. But after all those other things, it's his biggest priority.
The U.S. has identified five men who might be responsible for the attack on the diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, last year, and has enough evidence to justify seizing them by military force as suspected terrorists, officials say. But there isn't enough proof to try them in a U.S. civilian court as the Obama administration prefers.
The men remain at large while the FBI gathers evidence. But the investigation has been slowed by the reduced U.S. intelligence presence in the region since the Sept. 11, 2012, attacks, and by the limited ability to assist by Libya's post-revolutionary law enforcement and intelligence agencies, which are still in their infancy since the overthrow of dictator Col. Moammar Gadhafi.
Since liberated Libya is on the verge of being overthrown by the Muslim Brotherhood and Benghazi is under the control of the same militias who attacked the mission, and the FBI couldn't continue its investigation because the city was too unsafe, Obama's biggest priority after throwing lavish banquets and promoting national health care is not looking too good.
Sure Obama could send them to Gitmo, but Obama didn't even want to send Osama to Gitmo.
A senior administration official said the FBI has identified a number of individuals that it believes have information or may have been involved, and is considering options to bring those responsible to justice. But taking action in remote eastern Libya would be difficult.
FBI investigators are hoping for more evidence, such as other video of the attack that might show the suspects in the act of setting the fires that ultimately killed the ambassador and his communications specialist, or firing the mortars hours later at the CIA base where the surviving diplomats took shelter — or a Libyan witness willing to testify against the suspects in a U.S. courtroom.
Right. Or maybe they'll just phone and turn themselves in hoping they can get $278,000 like Nidal Hasan.
Obama saw an opportunity to resurrect the idea of a criminal trial, which Attorney General Eric Holder had planned for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.
This time, the president tells Bowden, he was prepared to bring bin Laden back and put him on trial in a federal court. “We worked through the legal and political issues that would have been involved, and Congress and the desire to send him to Guantánamo, and to not try him, and Article III.” Obama continues:
“I mean, we had worked through a whole bunch of those scenarios. But, frankly, my belief was if we had captured him, that I would be in a pretty strong position, politically, here, to argue that displaying due process and rule of law would be our best weapon against al-Qaeda, in preventing him from appearing as a martyr.”
Biggest priority indeed.