2nd US Power Plant was Attacked by Armed Gunman

The officer shot back, and when he called for backup, the suspect sped away on his boat.


It may just be a coincidence. It may have been a more ordinary case of criminal trespass. Or it may have been something much more than that.

First the original attack.

A sniper attack in April 2013 that disabled several transformers at a substation near San Jose, CA was "the most significant incident of domestic terrorism involving the grid that has ever occurred," according to officials, and may have been a rehearsal for a broader wave of attacks designed to plunge the entire country into darkness, according to a report published Tuesday evening on the Wall Street Journal's website by Rebecca Smith.

The attack at the electricity transmission substation — located next to the Metcalf power plant — happened shortly before 2 a.m. on April 16 last year, when one or more individuals took up positions along Coyote Ranch Road and “began shooting rounds at the equipment, according to a California Public Utilities Commission report. Reportedly firing bullets like those used by AK-47s — an assault weapon favored by terrorists — they blasted 17 transformers and 6 circuit breakers, and caused $15.4 million in damage.

"Within half an hour, snipers opened fire on a nearby electrical substation. Shooting for 19 minutes, they surgically knocked out 17 giant transformers that funnel power to Silicon Valley. A minute before a police car arrived, the shooters disappeared into the night.

"To avoid a blackout, electric-grid officials rerouted power around the site and asked power plants in Silicon Valley to produce more electricity. But it took utility workers 27 days to make repairs and bring the substation back to life."

Now Jim Hoft of Gateway Pundit has noticed another incident that took place around the same time.

Less than a week later shots were fired at a nuclear plant in Tennessee

A TVA spokesperson confirmed that a security officer patrolling TVA Watts Bar Nuclear Plant in Spring City was involved in a shootout with a suspect Sunday at about 2:00 a.m.

The security incident happened on the Tennessee River side of the plant property, more than a quarter mile from the plant’s protected area, which houses its reactor and power production facilities.

TVA spokesperson Jim Hopson said the subject traveled up to the plant on a boat and walked onto the property. When the officer questioned the suspect, the individual fired multiple shots at the officer. The officer shot back, and when he called for backup, the suspect sped away on his boat.

A trespasser would not be completely extraordinary, but an armed trespasser willing to engage in a shootout with a police officer who arrives there by boat raises a whole series of questions.