Hollywood Once Again Gets a Pass on Coronavirus Lockdowns

One of the more underreported stories in both the media and even conservative media is how the entertainment industry got a pass on coronavirus lockdowns. 

The media got a blanket exemption as an "essential" business from the very beginning. In New York, Cuomo and De Blasio allowed celebrities to visit for the VMAs without having to quarantine, allowed entertainment industry award shows to go forward (while targeting synagogues) and let Saturday Night Live flout regulations by paying audience members and pretending that they were employees.

Here's another example from the west coast.

With the coronavirus surging in the state, the City and County of Los Angeles have placed new limits on after-hours filming. FilmLA, the local film permit office, said that these new limits prohibit after-hours on-location film activity in conformance with the state’s Limited Stay at Home Order.

Starting today, permissible filming hours will be restricted to 7 a.m.-10 p.m. in residential areas and from 5 a.m.-10 p.m. in commercial areas. “Local officials also clarified that pursuant to this action, no setup activity may begin earlier than the permissible time, and at the end of the day, activity must wrap to ensure it’s ‘taillights at ten,’” FilmLA said in its latest update.

FilmLA Urges Filmmakers To Follow Covid Protocols, Limit Shoots “Likely To Invite A Negative Community Response”

Restrict the entertainment industry? In LA? Nope.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s new limited stay-at-home order issued last week — which restricts “non-essential work, movement and gatherings stop between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. in counties in the [state’s] purple tier” — does not apply to entertainment industry workers. They remain on the list of essential workers and thus are an exception to the rule.

What exactly is "essential" about film crews as opposed to any other business? Privilege and power.

Without explaining its reasoning, the film-permitting office just issued this statement:

“Los Angeles County and the City of Los Angeles have advised FilmLA that filming will not be restricted to the hours between 5 a.m. / 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., as previously announced. Filmmakers are highly encouraged to stay within those limits, if feasible, and be mindful of community impact while California’s Limited Stay at Home Order is in effect. Today’s original Production Alert is hereby withdrawn. 

“FilmLA takes its direction on film policy from the government clients we contract with. The County and City each reversed their directives, originally issued around 7 pm on 11/25, today at around 1 pm."

A helpful reminder that even beyond politicians like Newsom and Cuomo very blatantly flouting their own orders, the entire system is corrupt and compromised.

Share