Overview of a special section of Discover the Networks.
The “progressive” policies of the socialist left, under the banners of “social justice,” “equality,” and “compassion,” have inflicted catastrophe in many forms—poverty, moral decline, criminality, violence, illness, and death—upon countless millions of people. The programs and policies that led to these disastrous outcomes were often promoted by “progressives” as expressions of high-minded “liberal” idealism that promised to improve the living conditions not only of people in great need, but also of those in the middle class.
Progressives view their own prescriptions for all manner of social ills—racism, sexism, homophobia, intolerance, greed, alienation—as solutions uniquely rooted in enlightenment and decency. By contrast, they portray conservative social policy as the outgrowth of selfish greed and mean-spiritedness. But the solutions they have advanced in the form of social and ideological crusades, often prosecuted with messianic zeal, have actually brought immense, needless suffering to the very same “victims” in whose names they have acted.
We have devoted a special section of DiscoverTheNetworks -- titled "The Left's War on the Poor, Minorities, and Working Americans" -- to these realities:
- how a host of progressive attitudes and public policies—particularly the ever-expanding welfare state—have devastated African Americans, miring them in decade upon decade of family breakdown, poverty, and criminal victimization;
- how the housing crisis of 2008, which was a direct result of progressive government policies that forced lending institutions to abandon the common-sense practices they had traditionally employed, plundered the wealth of nonwhites and wiped out literally decades of economic progress they had made;
- how the public education system, dominated by progressive ideology and unfailingly supportive of the Democratic Party, has consigned generations of blacks & Hispanics to academic failure and, consequently, to lives of poverty and underachievement;
- how the ineffective law-enforcement strategies of progressives have caused many U.S. cities to become hotbeds of criminal activity where millions of minorities are sent needlessly to early graves;
- how the ill-advised tax-and-spend policies of progressives have turned many urban centers with large numbers of minorities and poor people in the U.S. into economic disaster areas;
- how the ever-expanding welfare state imposes massive costs on American taxpayers; and
- how radical gay progressives' refusal to respect traditional public-health practices needlessly caused hundreds of thousands of young homosexuals to die of AIDS.
To view this special section of DiscoverTheNetworks, click here.
Freedom Center pamphlets now available on Kindle: Click here.