This is the cruel reality of culture war weaponized transgender identity politics.
A government-funded rape crisis centre is being sued by a sexual assault survivor for allowing a transgender woman to access its female-only support group.
The rape victim, who has been granted court anonymity but goes by the name Sarah, sought counselling from the Survivors’ Network in Brighton last year after she was sexually abused as a child and later raped in her twenties.
No privacy in the bathroom or at a rape crisis center.
The Survivors’ Network’s trans-inclusive policy states its women-only services are available to any “self-identifying woman”, which is defined as “an individual that feels their gender identity is a woman, irrespective of the gender they were assigned at birth”.
Which is to say… anyone. There have been multiple cases of rape by men who claim to be women. So that’s not very appropriate for a rape crisis center.
After filing her legal claim to Brighton County Court last Friday, Sarah told The Telegraph: “It was really reluctantly that I brought this case. On the surface, it appears anti-feminist to challenge a rape crisis centre.”
However, she said that “hundreds” of survivors have since reached out to her saying they have had similar experiences when requesting female-only rape counselling.
“I want to stress that we’re not looking for this instead of the mixed-sex women’s groups,” Sarah explained. “It’s in addition. It seems like a really small ask for a supposedly trauma-informed rape crisis centre.”
But a huge one for identity politics. And at the rape crisis center, identity politics come before rape victims.
Another sexual abuse survivor in the area has claimed she was told by Jay Breslaw, the organisation’s chief executive, to “reframe her boundaries” after she explained why access to a women-only service was important to her.
That is what abusers tend to say.