From Gilroy to San Bernardino
Recalling the 2015 mass murder by Islamic jihadists Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik.
On July 28 at the Garlic Festival in Gilroy, California, Santino William Legan began firing randomly into the crowd. His attack claimed three victims, including Stephen Romero, only six years old. Legan injured a dozen others before taking his own life. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating the attack as a case of domestic terrorism.
Legan had a target list that included religious groups, the Republican and Democrat parties, and government locations such as courthouses, but no names of people. Police also found a 75-round drum magazine with 71 rounds remaining, plus three 40-round magazines, including one found near him. A search of his car yielded a shotgun, a rifle scope and additional ammunition.
On August 6, police had still not announced a motive for the killings. That invites a look at a mass shooting in California in which the motive was clear the casualty county much higher.
On December 2, 2015, Islamic Jihadists Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik murdered 14 people and wounded 22 an office party at the Inland Regional social services center in San Bernardino. Bringing Calm to Chaos: A Police Foundation Review of the San Bernardino Terrorist Attacks provides a chilling description by those on the scene.
“Out of the blue, multiple popping sounds crackled outside,” the report says. “Several of the county workers thought fireworks had been lit, but others recognized the sound as gunfire.” The burst claimed two victims, then the terrorists headed inside, to a room decorated for a holiday party.
“Suddenly, a door swung open and a person clad in all black, with a mask shielding his or her face, stepped inside, wielding what appeared to be an automatic rifle. Without saying a word, the person, now believed to be Rizwan Farook (the male assailant), opened fire.” Then Tashfeen Malik followed. “She also wore all black and entered the room shooting. Together, the shooters fired more than 100 rounds.” The carnage, one officer said, was “the worst thing imaginable.”
In the ensuing chase, the Muslims fired at least 81 rounds, wounding one officer, but police took down the terrorists with no collateral damage. Inside the SUV police found “an additional 1,879 rounds of .223 ammunition and another 484 rounds of 9-mm ammunition.” Police also found “trigger apparatus to detonate the secondary devices” at the Regional Center, a reference to bombs planted to increase the death toll among first responders, a terrorist calling card.
Farook and Malik murdered innocent people in the name of Islam. Yet from the start, the Washington establishment denied or downplayed that motive, and hesitated to invoke terrorism. When that could not be denied, the alibi armory broke out its Islamophobia incantation.
Benjamin B. Wagner then U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of California, referred to “the massacre” in San Bernardino and did not name the shooters. Wagner also failed to name a single one of the 14 victims, who included African Americans, Hispanics and immigrants. Even so, Muslims Farook and Malik were not called racists or anti-immigrant hatemongers.
President Obama famously refused to link terrorism with Islam. In 2009, when Nidal Hasan murdered 13 at Fort Hood, Texas, the president called it “workplace violence,” not even gun violence. Yet, after Farook and Malik’s mass murder in San Bernardino, the establishment media did not charge that the president’s rhetoric encouraged such attacks.
Trump’s rhetoric, the Democrat-media axis now contends, encourages mass shootings. A guest on MSNBC contended that when the president lowered flags to half-mast until August 8, that was a secret signal to white supremacists meaning “Heil Hitler,” with H being the eighth letter of the alphabet.
This is the sort of thing one expects from an escaped mental patient. The speaker was Frank Figliuzzi, a former FBI assistant director for counterintelligence and now a national security contributor for NBC News.
At this writing, the Gilroy, El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, shootings have claimed 34 victims. On October 1, 2017, Stephen Paddock gunned down 58 in Las Vegas. For all the horror and carnage, these were not worst mass shootings ever to take place in North America.
On October 2, 1968, Mexican soldiers and police gunned down at least 300 unarmed students, peacefully protesting in advance of the Olympics. Those responsible for the mass atrocity were never brought to justice and the coverup continues to this day. On the 50th anniversary last year, Mexican president Lopez Obrador kept rather quiet about the massacre.
After El Paso, AMLO directed foreign secretary Marcelo Ebrard to take swift legal action, and Ebrard denounced the El Paso attack as an “act of terror” against Mexican citizens. In 2016, Ebrard campaigned openly for Hillary Clinton and compared Donald Trump to Adolph Hitler.
In 2008, as mayor of Mexico City, Ebrard told reporters Mexican democracy “was intact largely because of the people who died” in 1968, and “Mexico had a duty to be grateful to them.” Ebrard claimed to support attempts to uncover the truth and get the Mexican government to accept responsibility.
That has yet to take place, so if anybody in the United States chooses to push back against this Clinton collaborator, it would be hard to blame them.