After Iran bombed a tanker, the media and the Ben Rhodes echo chamber rushed to play defense, claiming that there was no evidence that the Islamic terror state had carried out the attack.
Joining them were elements of the conservative movement who pal around with terror supporters like Glenn Greenwald.
They invented conspiracy theories, tried to blame John Bolton and Pompeo for Iran’s actions. And claimed it was a false flag plot to start a war.
Well, now Iran would like everybody to know that it shot down one of our drones.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards claimed Thursday they shot down a US drone in the southern province of Hormozgan.
State news agency IRNA quoted the Guard’s news website, Sepah News, as saying that the Islamic country’s military force targeted the RQ-4 Global Hawk drone when it entered Iran’s airspace “near the Kouhmobarak district in the south.”
General Hossein Salami, the commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, said the incident sent “a clear message” to the US, adding that Iran does “not have any intention for war with any country, but we are ready for war.”
Responding swiftly to the Iranian claim, the US military said it had not violated Iranian airspace on Wednesday.
“No US aircraft were operating in Iranian airspace today,” said Navy Captain Bill Urban, a spokesman for the US military’s Central Command.
Later, a US official told the Associated Press on condition of anonymity that an Iranian surface-to-air missile shot down a US drone “flying in international airspace” over the Strait of Hormuz.
Central Command subsequently released a statement confirming that an RQ-4 Global Hawk maritime surveillance drone had been “shot down by an Iranian surface-to-air missile system while operating in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz.”
Addressing the dowing of the drone, US President Donald Trump tweeted, “Iran made a very big mistake.”
Last week the US confirmed a previous Iranian attempt to shoot down one of its drones.
But the echo chamber keeps spinning on.