Quite a show of support for a first-term president from your own party.
And the numbers are grimmer than grim for Biden.
Technically the NPR-PBS Marist poll is asking Dems and leaners, “Do you think Democrats have a better chance of winning the presidency in 2024 if Joe Biden is the party’s nominee, or if someone else is the party’s nominee?” But that’s the kind of question that reveals support for a candidate without forcing members of his own party to cross a red line and toss out their own.
Looking ahead to 2024, 36% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents say their party will have a better chance winning the White House with Biden at the top of the ticket. 44% want someone else, and 20% are unsure.
Those numbers are bad enough.
When was the last time that a majority of Democrats wanted to replace their guy in the White House in his first year?
Believe it or not, these numbers just get catastrophically worse.
Independents are done with Biden. 51% think another candidate would do better.
The only group that at least splits on Biden in 2024 is “non-whites”.
Among white Democrats, only 30% think Biden is their best bet, 44% think someone else would do better.
But the meteor really arrives among Democrat white college graduates where only 28% think the party’s smart move would be keeping Biden.
That’s a little over 1 in 4.
In even worse news, the gender gap isn’t working for Biden. Democrat men marginally support Biden a little more than Democrat women.
Is there any good news for Biden? Yes, Kamala is still his VP.
Leave a Reply