Democrats are digging deep into their big bag of rationalizations to justify the House’s failure to move forward with impeachment.
This response by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, who always looks like he just ate a spoiled ham sandwich, is a classic.
Why Pelosi holding the Articles a bit is a good idea:
1) She can send them over whenever she wants.
2) It’s driving Trump and the Republicans crazy.
3) It puts the focus on Mitch’s mischief to fix the trial by hiding probative evidence.
4) She has a good point: the kind of trial it will be affects what managers she should send. Particularly after Mitch confessed he’d violate his oath of impartiality, its a fair question.
1. She could have sent them over right afterward if she had wanted to proceed
3 and 4 both consist of claiming that failing to move on impeachment is a way to shift the blame to Senator Mitch McConnell. We already know that’s the strategy. And nobody outside D.C. cares. What they see is that the Democrats dragged the country to hell. And then bailed.
But 2. is the real prize here.
Why not proceed with impeachment? It’s driving Trump and Republicans crazy. By not impeaching Trump, we’re owning the cons.
Does Whitehouse think his base of Twitter trolls is dumb enough to come around to putting the brakes on impeachment because they think that not impeaching Trump will upset Trump?