Throughout the Biden administration (however much of it there’s been), the Chinese have pushed for direct high-profile meetings because…
1. They raise Xi’s profile. And the PRC is looking like a Xi cult of personality these days.
2. Biden is the weakest and easiest target in the Biden administration.
Some of Biden’s people, particularly National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan, have tried to avoid such meetings presumably because…
1. Biden is already vulnerable to charges of being in China’s pocket
2. Biden is mentally inept and an easy target for Chinese manipulation. He’s also capable of saying almost anything with damaging results.
3. In traditional diplomacy, meetings between major leaders are earned, and not just handed out. In other words, they wanted something from China before giving it high-profile and high-status meetings.
John Kerry, as climate czar, became the messenger boy for the PRC. And the Chinese made a point of humiliating other officials, like Wendy Sherman, the Deputy Secretary of State and Blinken’s number two, to make it clear that they would welcome Kerry and Biden.
Now the agenda has born fruit with the China appeasers completely triumphing as Biden and Xi conduct their virtual summit.
The whole disaster is a reminder that it’s not just that Kerry undermines Republicans, his treasonous appeasement is so extreme that he even undermines Democrats. Even the Obama administration assigned him a minder to keep him leashed and walk back his remarks. But the Biden administration is such a shambolic mess that it has no ability to control any of its feuding officials.