Pandering to Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s narcissism is one reason she likely didn’t step down during the Obama years. That and confidence that Hillary Clinton would be able to appoint her successor. That’s not happening. And Dem hopes for it happening at all are dimming once again.
Time to pander some more.
Twenty-six years after President Bill Clinton nominated Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to the Supreme Court, the two shared the stage again Tuesday as the former President praised his appointee for her landmark opinions and “amazing” dissents, while also displaying a hint of envy for her late-in-life iconic status as the “Notorious RBG.”
“You could become resentful of such a person,” Clinton joked, “but you’re not.”
“All of us hope that she will stay on the court forever,” he told a crowd in North Little Rock, Arkansas, at an event hosted by the Clinton Presidential Center.
Ginsburg didn’t impressive even to those who share her political views. Her body of work is underwhelming. As is her persuasiveness. The only impressive thing about her is her ability to keep going. But staying power is not the only virtue of sitting on the Supreme Court.
I doubt the Clintons are retroactively all that happy to have appointed her.
But that’s also the curious thing. The Dem judiciary lacks any real stars. Taking a look at the SCOTUS list for Dems is an exercise in schadenfreude. I’m not all that impressed with some Republican nominees, but the Republican bench (before it turned into middle aged white guys with the same haircut and the same conservative/liberal tendencies who can be counted on 60% of the time to do the right thing before stabbing us in the back the other 40%) contained some conservative stars. When you look at Thomas and Alito, it still does.
Clinton and Obama’s appointees have been mediocre. Kagan and Sotomayor are third raters whose only selling point is ideological fidelity. Future Dem nominees appear to be cut from the same cloth. As is RBG. The only notorious thing about her is persistence.
Leave a Reply